Africa is an immense and magnificent continent. Visiting an African country, either for hunting or touring, takes a bit of preparation. African seasons are the opposite of Europe and North America. We mainly hunt during our Southern Winter when temperatures are moderate to cool. More info on South Africa More info on Namibia More info on Tanzania Packing your bag is a key part of your trip and has to be done wisely. One does not want to get short of clothing or medication while travelling in a foreign country. Flying means travelling light. Your checked baggage allowance will limit you to a rifle case as one piece of luggage, and a suitcase, wheelie, or duffel as your second piece of luggage. Usually you can transport your ammunition in your checked suitcase, but be prepared for the carriers that want ammunition in a separate item of luggage (recommend a s teel ammo can in the suitcase or removed as necessary). Some not all carriers allow ammunition in your rifle case. Always transport ammunition in factory boxes, in CHECKED luggage, and limit ammunition to a weight of 10 pounds or less. Grand Safari recommends you pack the following in your carry On bag:
- Your camera and / or video camera
- 1 pair of hunting trousers (khaki or green)
- 1 hunting shirt (dark in color) and 2 T-shirts
- 1 fleece jacket (dark color)
- 1 pair of well broken in lightweight leather boots
- 1 set of underwear – ALL PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
- Samples of recommended medication (see our “Health” recommendations)
- 1 Cap
- 1 pair of binoculars (10×40 for plains game and leopard, 8×30 for buffalo)
- Two sets of hunting clothes (in addition to the one in your carry-on).
- Possibly a second pair of WELL BROKEN IN lightweight leather boots.
- Personal gear should include a hat, sunscreen (SPF 30 or better), lip balm, insect repellent, cartridge pouch, rain jacket (such as Goretex), and a fleece jacket with hood for mornings.
- Good quality compact flash light (with spare batteries)
- Needle and thread for clothing repairs
- Canteen with carry strap or pouch for South Africa and Namibia, 3 liter hydration pack for Buffalo and Elephant in Tanzania
- Soft rifle case for vehicle, (optional as we have some of them for you to use).
- Cough Drops, plus cough syrup for leopard hunts
- Ear plugs and paper targets for zeroing rifle (optional)
- Leather gloves
- Bug jacket (for Tanzania)
- Q Tips (for cleaning ears)
- Whistle (carry in pocket)
- Pocket Knife (your tracker and PH will do all field dressing of game)
Remember that liquids and gels are prohibited in carry-on! Although Grand Safari camps all offer daily laundry services, you should pack in your check bag:
Nylon shoes and boots are routinely punctured by thorns is Africa: ouch! Wool collects burrs and thorn branches: not recommended! One set of casual clothes worn for airline travel, plus a spare casual shirt, will suffice for a hunting safari. Our selection of shirts and jackets are offered in the colors most suitable for African Safari. If you specify your size in advance, your order will be ready upon your arrival for your safari.(more…)